[NetBehaviour] blockchain electrical consumption?

ruth catlow ruth.catlow at furtherfield.org
Sat Nov 4 15:15:38 CET 2017

Hiya,

Yes, I've seen this
<https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/ywbbpm/bitcoin-mining-electricity-consumption-ethereum-energy-climate-change>circulating.

Some further research needed I think.

But first some cheering art that speaks to these concerns. /Julian
Oliver's //Harvest <https://julianoliver.com/output/harvest>/ - Wind
energy used to mine cryptocurrency to fund climate research.

These are the things I want to know - need to research.

1) How do Blockchain based emissions compare to those of other global
communication and trading network infrastructures such as:
- Other currency and financial trading systems (including High Frequency
Trading)
- Streaming video servers for Netflix, Amazon etc

I wish the person who had penned this blog had done more to compare like
with like. Anyone got a nice online resource we can point to?

2) And what is the carbon emission prognosis is for newer developments
in blockchain technologies that use Proof-of-Stake rather than
Proof-of-Work.

Bitcoin was the first, there are a many other blockchain technologies
now developing different (including much more energy efficient) approaches.

Can we combine efforts here. Figures/references anyone please?

Cheers!
Ruth

On 04/11/17 13:06, Alan Sondheim wrote:

> ah well, this just came over, comments?
> https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/ywbbpm/bitcoin-mining-electricity-consumption-ethereum-energy-climate-change
>

> - Alan

Co-founder Co-director
Furtherfield

www.furtherfield.org

+44 (0) 77370 02879

Bitcoin Address 197BBaXa6M9PtHhhNTQkuHh1pVJA8RrJ2i

Furtherfield is the UK's leading organisation for art shows, labs, &
debates
around critical questions in art and technology, since 1997

Furtherfield is a Not-for-Profit Company limited by Guarantee
registered in England and Wales under the Company No.7005205.
Registered business address: Ballard Newman, Apex House, Grand Arcade,
Tally Ho Corner, London N12 0EH.