[NetBehaviour] comments on blockchain, art, etc., discussion with Ruth

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Sun Nov 5 17:57:11 CET 2017

On Sun, 5 Nov 2017, ruth catlow wrote:

> Hiya,
> It's a bit hard to keep up with all the threads here.
> So hello Rob, Edward, Alan, Pall, Gretta, and all,
>
> On 31/10/17 17:45, Rob Myers wrote:
>
> MIT has a "Center for Bits and Atoms". Information requires a substrate
> and will not outlive the heat death of the universe. There's a degree of
> "so what?" to this - while there is energy left in the universe we can
> move information to another substrate. Digital information doesn't care
> what its substrate is. Which makes substrates sad. But information does
> care that it has a substrate. There's a degree of nervousness to
> information's nonchalance about this. That's why it has to exist in
> three places at once...

Not sure where this quote is from (so many quotes within quotes etc.!) but
the idea that "Information requires a substrate and will not outlive the
heat death of the universe." might be problematic, given that within QM,
according to Susskind etc., information can't be destroyed - this has to
do with the black hole paradox I think. That doesn't mean it's accessible
of course. I Have no idea how this plays out re: the digital, but it's
interesting to think about - Alan