[NetBehaviour] Rabbiting on by Michael Szpakowski | Furtherfield Community Blog

ruth catlow ruth.catlow at furtherfield.org
Thu Aug 9 18:54:36 CEST 2018

*Rabbiting on by Michael Szpakowski*
<https://www.furtherfield.org/rabbiting-on/>*| Furtherfield Community Blog
*
*"R*ecently I was approached to conceive and run an outreach project to
accompany a solo show of work by Eduardo Kac at Furtherfield Gallery in
North London’s Finsbury Park.

*A*mong the works on show was one of Kac’s Lagoogleglyphs, large scale
stylised representations of rabbits (something of a signature obsession
for him) painted in some sort of sportsground emulsion directly onto a
section of the park and allegedly of a scale which make it harvestable
by the satellites Google rents for its various mapping activities.

*B*eing completely frank, I have to say I entertained a degree of
scepticism about Kac’s work—some of it falling within, in my view, one
or both of two entertainment based metaphors—the ‘one-liner’ and the
‘theme park’—neither particularly positive elements of my critical lexicon.

*B*e that as it may, some of the work, particularly the less grandiose
pieces (that delicate bunny flag flapping above the gallery!) were
touched enough with real poetry to make me want to take up the challenge.

*I* say ‘challenge’ advisedly for I’m only ever interested in doing
anything which in some sense challenges me and I also felt that my
ambivalence about Kac would result in anything I ended up making
containing a return element of ‘challenge’ or, perhaps more gently put,
practical critique.

*T*he word challenge also described the sense I had of wanting to
counterpose collaboration, the collective, the everyday, to the artist
with a capital ‘A’; of going some way to claiming art as a way of seeing
and feeling and thinking together for All ( also with a capital ‘A’)."

*Read more, and see the GPS Rabbit drawings that Michael made with park
visitors here https://www.furtherfield.org/rabbiting-on/*

--
Co-founder Co-director
Furtherfield

www.furtherfield.org

+44 (0) 77370 02879

Bitcoin Address 1G7SPFpvHhVEqn5trpNEcyNWbDcyZXuAnh

Furtherfield is the UK's leading organisation for art shows, labs, &
debates
around critical questions in art and technology, since 1997

Furtherfield is a Not-for-Profit Company limited by Guarantee
registered in England and Wales under the Company No.7005205.
Registered business address: Ballard Newman, Apex House, Grand Arcade,
Tally Ho Corner, London N12 0EH.