[NetBehaviour] International open call - Still We Rise - York Mediale

ruth catlow ruth.catlow at furtherfield.org
Sun Jul 8 23:47:57 CEST 2018

Of Interest?

An international open call

York Mediale (27th September - 6th October 2018) currently has an
international open call out for artists to submit proposals to be part
of one its key exhibitions, 'Still We Rise'.

The deadline is -*20th July*
A flyer is attached which has the top-line info but please also point
people to the York Mediale website for full details.
https://yorkmediale.com/opportunities/still-we-rise
<https://yorkmediale.com/opportunities/still-we-rise>

For further context

'The work of Maya Angelou (1928 – 2014), acclaimed American poet,
storyteller, autobiographer and civil rights activist, forms the
starting point for this exhibition.

The exhibition title, “Still We Rise”, is inspired by Maya Angelou’s
1978 poem “Still I Rise”. The poem urged the importance of reigniting
self-worth in order to fight against oppressions. Today inequalities
remain rife and even permeate the technologies that pervade our lives –
from a holocaust denying twitter bot, to the gendered labour of
artificial intelligence. In this context, “Still We Rise” will examine
the systems which perpetuate inequalities from the perspective and
locale of an international group of women, non-binary, femme-identifying
people.

“Still We Rise” will ask what systems – visible and hidden – do we need
to rise up against or beyond today? What is invisible or absent and
needs to be seen or heard? And by whom?'