[NetBehaviour] EU is going to ban the memes!!!

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Mon Jul 16 23:50:11 CEST 2018

On Mon, 16 Jul 2018, at 2:27 PM, nacho via NetBehaviour wrote:
> not a big fan of copyright myself but neither a fan of big tech
> companies lobbying>
> interesting article here of google vs article 13
>
> https://www.ukmusic.org/news/uk-music-chief-slams-google-as-corporate-vultures-as-figures-show-googles-3
Disclosure: I work for a US-based copyright reform organization. This is my personal opinion though.
"UK Music is an industry-funded body" :thinking-face-emoji: .

The amount stated by UK Music covers all of Google's lobbying activities
in the EU rather than just on this issue.
Companies the size of Google can comply with legislation like this no
problem, it is smaller European web sites and startups that the
legislation would push out of the market.
People were fighting this fight before Google existed, and if necessary
they will be fighting it after Google are gone.
Andreas/Technollama explains this better than I could:

"As a veteran of the Copyright Wars, I have to admit that it has been
very entertaining reading the reaction from the copyright industry lobby
groups and their individual representatives, some almost going
apoplectic with rage at Google’s intervention. These tend to be the same
people who spent decades lobbying legislators to get their way
unopposed, representing large corporate interests unashamedly and
passing laws that would benefit only a few, usually to the detriment of
users. It seems like lobbying must be decried when you lose."
https://www.technollama.co.uk/what-can-the-copyright-directive-vote-tell-us-about-the-state-of-digital-rights
- Rob.