[NetBehaviour] What would you have loved to have been taught in history classes that you didn't learn in school?

Edward Picot julian.lesaux at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 21:05:13 CEST 2018

Marc,

That's an interesting question. At the time when I was at school, modern
history didn't interest me all that much, and I wished we could have
spent more time learning about the Romans and Medieval Britain. I come
from a generation which was thoroughly fed up with the subject of the
Second World War, but I wish I knew more about it now - not necessarily
the British experience, but Hitler's rise to power, Mussolini, Japan and
so forth. Also, I never knew very much about Ireland until I started to
study Seamus Heaney. We were taught about the Potato Famine, but not
much else - hardly anything about the 1916 uprising, or how Ireland
eventually got independence, at the expense of the South separating from
the North. A subject we really should have known something about,
considering the effects it had in the shape of the Troubles. The deep
links between the Tories and the Ulster Unionists are still affecting
our politics today. And as the years have gone by I've found myself
embarrassed to know so little about the effects of the British Empire
elsewhere - for example the India/Pakistan partition, our involvement in
the Middle East, Rhodesia and South Africa.

History seems a much more vital subject to me now than it did when I was
at school. I think you probably have to live through a bit of it before
you start to understand how much it matters.

Edward