[NetBehaviour] broken thought tests

Johannes Birringer Johannes.Birringer at brunel.ac.uk
Fri Nov 9 21:01:27 CET 2018

thank you for responding Alan, and, i feel, in your response, you begin to ponder the question of working (as a weaving) with others as I had questioned your loneliness and unheard/unseen-ness.

Your work resonates, and aggravates surely, as many here on the list probably feel charmingly disoriented and inspired and encouraged by the continuous outpourings of your texts, poems, aphorisms, images, and music. One cannot keep up, and so I sometimes find or relocate your broken remarks weeks later.

did you write on voting, midterm?

that is over now, i saw joyous report, and misgivings, and i read misgivings here too, every day, and cannot keep up with the failures of the imagination; meanwhile, I saw that Performing Arts Journal, in its current issue, remembers Reza Abdoh, the theatre artist (died in the 90s), and his work with others, Dar A Luz. The last piece i saw of them, in New York, was 'Quotations from a Ruined City." behind barbed wire.

Now you speak of DIWO, i did not really know this expression; the friends and collaborators one works with are generous, this is my experience, and generosity is perhaps a crucial notion here, along with the passion and the preparation you mention (Foofwa) , which spoils us, and your broken tests are also partly credited to Azure, so you are fortunate in not being alone, nor isolated; the networked behaviors you address make me wonder, here, how many of us work alongside (Mark how many subscribers has this list?), and Alan you mention Finsbury Park where you came last year, but there are so many parks and studios, and if I had time I would love to meet/visit other studios more, and learn (share) coding more.

Currently, a sound artists, A-Kin, whom I am working with, is helping me to re-activate the Sensestage Minibees, wearable sensors I got hold of from STEIM a few years ago but never really managed to get to work on my Mac - has anyone worked with the minibees?  well, we are almost there with the new Max patch to see whether they are useful, meaningful.  Laurie Anderson, in that same PAJ issue, talks about her dabbling with VR in 'The Chalkroom' (which she made with Hsin-Chien Huang), saying she finds, often, that new technologies are clumsy, and the goggles certainly were when she first tried to work with them. But she felt she could develop something, slowly, some stories in VR, along with her collaborator (via Skype, they live in different places). "it's a wonderful way to work on ideas," she says about skyping with others developing a new piece.

So, Alan, why don't we work on something for next year (I am planning a dance about the moon eclipse)...

regards
Johannes Birringer