[NetBehaviour] Fwd: [CAS] NEW MEDIA ART XYZ - Where did new media art in the 1990s 'go'?

Paul Hertz ignotus at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 18:27:38 CEST 2018

Very funny, Michael. I have faved the sketch on Flickr.

OTOH, "new media art" for me doesn't bring to mind Internet '99 but rather
the convergence of video art + interactive art in the mid 80s, called "New
Media Art" starting more or less in the early 90s.

As to where it went—I don't see so much a change in what people were
doing, the kind of art they were making, as a change in nomenclature and
context. Internet '99 is probably already called net.art, and its passage
through the $MONEY function is notorious. Muntadas' File Room (1993) was
staged as both a software-driven screen-based installation (the "classic"
new media art form) and as an data-driven website. Arguably it marks a
transition point from new media art to net.art; however, people have gone
right on making the kind of interactive media installations that
characterized much New Media Art—"interactive media installation" itself
being one term frequently applied in the 90s.

If the monetization of net.art marks its demise and the subsequent arrival
of Internet Art, New Aesthetic, Glitch, Glitter, Twee, etc., there's also a
change in how work gets selected for exhibition in the more visible
institutions. Where you once had the sort of free-for-all juried shows
where artists and non-artists showed together and the show was a a slice of
the previous year's tech and aesthetic developments, now you see thematic
and curated shows that have become a proving ground and career rung for
ambitious (and mostly young) curators. The term "new media art" is regarded
as impossibly broad, so more focused terms get used, to the point where the
field fragments into the descriptive tropes used in various exhibitions and
thematic shows, both in the "traditional" venues such as SIGGRAPH and ISEA
and in the mainstream museums and galleries, where terminology is also a
brand.

But I go on. I should try to make a diagram.

cheers,

-- Paul

http://paulhertz.net/