[NetBehaviour] Fwd: [CAS] NEW MEDIA ART XYZ - Where did new media art in the 1990s 'go'?

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Mon Oct 8 18:01:17 CEST 2018

Just want to add here that some of us have been working under the rader,
or in other venues/guises, for decades - Chris Funkhouser writes about
that for example. And the logic of capital doesn't necessarily reach down
to the bottom feeders; in a sense all of this follows the path of the
artworld itself - everyone talks about the relation of high art to capital
now, the gallery system, etc. - but in every place I've been, there are
thriving galleries beneath that kind of radar. To me the issue at least in
part one of media.

I do find one possible different, maybe not talked about that much? That
to do new media art now you need either a job in tech or institutional
support - it's all related to universities or the periphery of IT circles.
But I might be way off base here.

The one potential use of Facebook - you do see a lot of work there that
otherwise might be lost.

- Alan