[NetBehaviour] anyone else out there with Ultrahosting?

ruth catlow ruth.catlow at furtherfield.org
Sun Sep 2 16:12:06 CEST 2018

Hi Lena

I have heard Beakerbrowser talked about a lot by people involved in the
p2p web movement over the last year or so.
I found it really confusing at first...

The web was always p2p and decentralised right?!
But since the grand centralisation of the web by the megga platforms it
is good to see work emerging around re-decentralisation of the web.

I wrote a bit about art in this context here
<https://decentralizedweb.net/screening-room/>, for the Furtherfield
screening room for the recent DWeb Summit, featuring 3 works by Annie
Abrahams and Michael Szpakowski.

And then there is this (rather dense but really useful) talk by Dymitri
Kleiner -"You can't code away their wealth"
<https://blog.p2pfoundation.net/cant-code-away-wealth-dmytri-kleiner-explains-construction-p2p-alternatives-conflictual/2016/05/25?cn-reloaded=1>
in which he explains his view on the politics of end-to-end as opposed
to client-server communication infrastructures.

Thanks for posting!

best
Ruth

On 27/08/18 12:13, Michael Szpakowski wrote:
> Meant to write this Lena, when I first saw your post but I was away on
> vacation .. great to see it.. now *do* post some more! Cheers michael
>

> Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone <https://yho.com/footer0>
>
> On Friday, August 24, 2018, 1:15 pm, Lena Brüggemann
> <brueggemann at d21-leipzig.de> wrote:
>
>     hi everyone,
>
>     just stumbled upon p2p websites, so no servers would be needed
>     anymore.
>
>     https://beakerbrowser.com/
>
>     Sounds like an interesting idea. Does anyone has experience with it?
>

>     btw. strange feeling to write something after years of only
>     following the list...
>

>     --
>
>     Lena Brüggemann
>     Artistic director / Künstlerische Leiterin
>
>     D21 Kunstraum Leipzig e.V.
>     Demmeringstr. 21
>     04177 Leipzig
>     www.d21-leipzig.de <http://www.d21-leipzig.de>
>

>     Am 14.08.2018 um 11:38 schrieb helen varley jamieson:
>
>     hi,
>
>     is there anyone else on this list who has sites hosted at the
>     canadian company ultrahosting? i have my sites there because way
>     back in 2002 i signed up for a rhizome fundraiser, where they
>     partnered with a company called broadspire to provide web hosting
>     for artists & rhizome got a small cut from every customer. over
>     the years broadspire got bought out or merged a couple of times &
>     at some point turning into ultrahosting.
>
>     since last wednesday my sites have vanished from the web - i can
>     still see the files via ftp, & email is working, but my sites are
>     offline & i can't access the plesk control panel or mysql. i
>     raised a support ticket & got the automated reply, but nothing
>     further. in the past they have been pretty good at responding
>     within a few hours - now it's almost a week.
>
>     i called the company a couple of times on friday & sat on hold for
>     ages then left a message. no-one has called back. i've hunted on
>     their website for other contact details & emailed sales & careers,
>     but no response. the website has no notice of any major problem. i
>     followed links to their twitter & fb accounts & found these
>     defunct. the blog on their website isn't working & some of the
>     contact forms fail. it's all a bit mysterious & suspicious!
>
>     so, while i set about finding a new hosting company (any
>     recommendations?) i just wondered if anyone else on this list is
>     also with ultrahosting & perhaps having similar problems?
>
>     h : /
>
>     --
>
>     helen varley jamieson
>
>     helen at creative-catalyst.com <mailto:helen at creative-catalyst.com>
>     http://www.creative-catalyst.com
>     http://www.upstage.org.nz

Co-founder Co-director
Furtherfield

www.furtherfield.org

+44 (0) 77370 02879

Bitcoin Address 1G7SPFpvHhVEqn5trpNEcyNWbDcyZXuAnh

Furtherfield is the UK's leading organisation for art shows, labs, &
debates
around critical questions in art and technology, since 1997

Furtherfield is a Not-for-Profit Company limited by Guarantee
registered in England and Wales under the Company No.7005205.
Registered business address: Ballard Newman, Apex House, Grand Arcade,
Tally Ho Corner, London N12 0EH.