[NetBehaviour] Artificial Intelligence and the Artificial Pancreas

Edward Picot julian.lesaux at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 20:59:35 CEST 2018

On the subject of AI, this may be of interest. I've just finished
summarising an article from the British Medical Journal about research
into Artificial Pancreas systems. An Artificial Pancreas isn't a
mechanical device that's implanted into someone, like a pacemaker - it's
basically a computer algorithm into which you feed the results of
continuous blood glucose monitoring, and it responds by telling you how
to adjust your insulin dosage. In a 'closed loop' system this
information is fed straight to your insulin pump, so that human input
shouldn't normally be required at all. The research paper I was
summarising indicates that although further research is required, these
Artificial Pancreas systems seem to be far more efficient at keeping
Type 1 Diabetic patients in the 'normal' blood-sugar range than
old-fashioned dosing regimes. They're especially efficient at night,
when old-fashioned dosing regimes tend to overload the blood with
insulin at the beginning of the night and leave it short by the time
morning comes.

There’s a very interesting open-source artificial pancreas system at
_https://openaps.org/_ , and there’s an article about it in the Guardian
at
_https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/jul/20/diabetes-experience-i-built-my-own-pancreas_
.