[NetBehaviour] urban murmuration

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Fri Aug 2 18:06:52 CEST 2019

urban murmuration

http://www.alansondheim.org/murmuration0.jpg
http://www.alansondheim.org/murmuration.mp3 (turn sound up)
http://www.alansondheim.org/murmuration1.jpg
http://www.alansondheim.org/murmuration2.jpg

approximately a thousand starlings in the large tree, after
the murmuration passed down weybosset.

1350-1400; Medieval Latin murmuration (murmuring, grumbling).
The "starling" sense is probably derived from the sound of the
very large groups that starlings form at dusk. (Wikipedia)

we'd seen numerous murmurations, all of them in the countryside,
crossing highways, landing in fields. but we've never found one
in the middle of a city. we've been following the starlings for
the past three days, recording audio and video from the landing
site (we weren't able to capture the murmuration in flight yet).
the sound is amazing! usually in the countryside, it's difficult
to get close to the birds; in the city, we just approached
quietly. (providence isn't on a flyway but we've seen amazing
birds in town - bitterns, herons, egrets, an ovenbird, falcons,
hawks, a kingfisher, loons, mergansers, ospreys, etc., all
within the city boundary, walking from our place. the
murmuration has been the most amazing sight - and sound - of
all.)