[NetBehaviour] Vibration not to be Missed

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Mon Feb 25 01:25:12 CET 2019

Vibration not to be Missed

http://www.alansondheim.org/vibration.jpg
http://www.alansondheim.org/vibration.mp4

Vibration w/ Kira Sedlock, around 2008, vlf plus vibration
meter at 123 in Morgantown, WV. Body movements are mapped
onto a single modulation which has two components - the 60
cycle electrical background, and its transformation by her
body movement reduced to a singularity. So that this might
be considered a cosmological vector of reduction, a result
of a reduced articulation of the entirety of the body. The
vibration meter sensor is held in Kira's mouth; a towel is
wrapped around it, providing a protective sheathe. The 123
stage and stage-lighting was perfect for the performance,
which also reflects work before and after, with everyone
from Foofwa d'Imobilite to myself (playing qin for example)
in the space of a virtual cave. I continue to explore the
vibrations of what might be considered ordinary and inert -
just as the music I create with kyizi and rag-dung is as
much about the environment and the vibratory modes and nodes
of metals and hollowed/hallowed (perhaps) spaces, as it is
about what I might actually improvise within a limited form
of vibration and empathy.