[NetBehaviour] New CASSETTE TAPE of Anomalous Shortwave Radio Signals (1991) released by Cor Ardens!

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Sat Jul 20 04:14:24 CEST 2019

New CASSETTE TAPE of Anomalous Shortwave Radio Signals released!

http://www.alansondheim.org/CorArdens.jpg

Alan Sondheim "Short Wave: Anomalous Recordings" (1991)

https://soundcloud.com/user-23300991/alan-sondheim-short-wave-anomalous-recordings-1991-excerpt9673-excerpt

Alan Sondheim "Short Wave: Anomalous Recordings" (1991)
excerpted track: "8967.3 pt. 1"
edition of 100 cassettes
Cor Ardens 05

(This was just released; the tracks are from four original tapes,
made around 1991, culled from hundreds of hours of listening and
monitoring. I was interested primarily in anomalous signals, which
seemed 'odd,' and were (and from my viewpoint, still are)
unidentified. Robert Horvitz told me about two of the frequencies;
the others I found later. The recordings were made with Dolby and
so forth; the original cassettes have held up over the years. I'm
still fascinated by these signals; I still hunt for similar ones.
With everything tending towards online and digital, these
basically analog signals also represent unusual and beautiful
artifacts. And yes, of course there are more out there, and no,
they're not numbers stations (which you can still find from time
to time). The signals, to say the least, haunt me still, and I'm
glad to see their release. Enjoy, please consider purchasing of
course. And thanks to Jim Strong!)

>From the Vault of the American poet, critic, musician, artist, and
theorist of cyberspace, Alan Sondheim. Cor Ardens is thrilled
present this intimate window into Sondheims longtime study of
Anomalous Shortwave Radio signals. These recordings were
transferred in all their generous warmth from original cassette
home recordings made during the year 1991. They are presented in
Long-Form excerpts, without editorial manipulations towards a kind
of human musicality. They are presented in their pure form - as
document. Sondheim's accompanying 1983 essay "Another Mother of Us
All, (A phenomenology of Short Wave)" describes short-wave as an
interactive medium in which 'the listener moves across the globe,
through vagaries of weather and international politics, to envelop
hirself' in an experience at once embodied and orgiastic. This
collection invites the listener into a multiplicity of
interpretations, giving no immediate roadmap, we may become first
enveloped in curiosity. Patterns emerge from static like fields of
ribbon, arousing in the listener a Rorschach of associations from
the lonely calls of aquatic life to the solar wind bouncing off
Jupiter's Magnetic Field. We listen and find ourselves presented
with an innumerable series of possible pathways "Falling through
another world. Falling through all possible worlds simultaneously."

Sondheim's forays into Improvisation and free music as tinged with
the air of late 60's communalism was chronicled by the seminal
label, ESP Disk. Over a span of decades his work has taken a
myriad of forms including the the publishing of numerous books of
criticism and poetry. More recently, he has created work focusing
on the aesthetics of virtual environments; mapping techniques
using motion capture and 3D laser scanners; Buddhist philosophy
and its relation to avatars and online environments; and
experimental choreography.

The Release features a Full Color-Six Panel J-Card Insert with
original works derived from a Qbasic multivariable fractal program
designed by the artist roughly at the same time as the recordings.

available 7/20/19

$10 dollars + shipping // Orders come with a 3-page essay entitled
"Another Mother of Us All (A Phenomenology of Short-Wave" Written
in 1983 originally published in "The Review of International
Broadcasting" (as supplies last)

e-mail Cor.Ardens00 at gmail.com to order/ or questions