[NetBehaviour] Melissa bee_scapes / new online sound piece

Jorn Ebner je at jornebner.de
Fri May 3 10:12:37 CEST 2019

Dear List

I wanted to share with you my new online soundpiece called Melissa, which I was able to develop during an artists' residency in Krems (Austria) in April. Its consists mostly of bee_scapes plus a few human_scapes, recorded in the area. These longer sound pieces are accompanied by incidental sounds, not all related to animals. The bee_scapes material came from inside and outside hives owned by a local beekeeper who also runs workshops, etc. in town.

http://sounds.central-peripheral.net/

Ever since I started my research some time last year, I became aware that bees, beekeeping, etc. are both fashionable (urban bee keepers) and symbolic for the ecological desaster that we bring upon the planet. But it also goes beyond the obvious: there are hidden cultural practices dotted across the planet that go back cneturoes. It is amazing that we know a lot about the animals and at the same time we know very little.

The piece consists of a collection of 36 audio players. Some are bits of story telling included in the source code, as the poetry is meant to be purely audio-visual.

All the best

Jorn