[NetBehaviour] The Doubter's Mysteries - The Nativity of Jesus

Edward Picot julian.lesaux at gmail.com
Thu May 9 21:13:14 CEST 2019

Alan,

Thanks again for your continued interest in this project, which has been
very encouraging to me. This particular episode, I admit, is more
silly/frivolous/humorous in tone than most of the others. Treatments of
the Nativity do tend to be more upbeat and celebratory than treatments
of other parts of the Bible, and of course Christmas is a more cheerful
festival than Easter, for the obvious reason that it's about someone
being born rather than someone being crucified, so if you're going to
get some laughs in then it's a good opportunity. Funny Nativities have
been done lots of times before, too; for example by Monty Python; but
they're also a staple of primary school performances at Christmas time.
So in some ways I'm being rather traditionalist in my approach to this
part of the story; but apart from doing some jokes, I also wanted to
make the point that whatever the occasion may be, however serious or
significant or profound or whatever, human nature will still be human
nature, and that's what governs our responses. Some people will miss the
point entirely, some will properly get it, some will get it but it won't
make a lasting impression on them, and some (like the Innkeeper) will
simply work out as fast as lightning how to exploit whatever it is for
financial gain. Which leads us to the wider question of whether human
society is actually capable of taking on board important messages at
all, or whether people are always too taken up with their own concerns
to pay such messages more than fleeting attention. How much of this is
down to human nature, and how much of it is down to the way society is
structured, is open to debate. But if you look at our world and the way
things are going... well, the best you can say is that things have to
get pretty bad before people are prepared to pay attention and start
changing their ways.

So, DIWO or DIM? You have to relate to the world in which you find
yourself. You have to try to be moral and responsible. But I'm very DIM
myself, by instinct. My creative practice in particular is all about
doing my own thing. I'm like a sea snail ploughing along the ocean
floor. Yet on the other hand I do find myself in collaborations with
other people from time to time, or working on ideas that have been given
to me by other people, and I find those experiences immensely valuable
because they take me to places I never would have gone by myself.
NetBehaviour has been a very enriching environment for me in that
respect. In my working life, I work in a doctor's surgery in the NHS,
which is a very collaborative environment (especially in my particular
surgery), but also very bureaucratic, and we're constantly being dumped
on by the powers that be, so it can be extremely frustrating at times -
but also you're helping people, you're providing a genuine service to
the community, which is profoundly rewarding. But all the same it can
drive you mad; and when it drives me mad, which is quite often, my
refuge is to come home and go back to whatever creative project I happen
to have on hand - go back to being DIM.

Which is a roundabout way of saying that you have to have both, I suppose.

Edward