[NetBehaviour] Very Large Works exhibition opening

Bjørn Magnhildøen noemata at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 23:25:43 CET 2019

physical laws offer no temporal orientation, including the statistical,
probabilistic laws of thermodynamics. so that not only is there an
overwhelming probability that the entropy of a physical system will be
higher in what we call the future, but also the same probability that it
was higher in the past. So if a system doesn't have the maximum possible
entropy now, it's extraordinarily likely that it will later have _and_
previously had more entropy. since laws are blind to time, you get these
symmetries.
resistance might be futile, but that's all we got, the living now, even if
non-existent. We're not at the bottom of this. Things can be non-existent
but real, something QM teaches us - the so-called wave function. what it
describes is potential and virtual, something that doesn't exist but is so
real that we can build computers on it. the nature of this we have no idea.
I'm not surprised that theorists, like Lee Smolin, tries to fuse qm into
classical, relativistic physics in a way to build a time-sensitive
phenomenology out of it.
i think art also can be open to the 'non-existent but real' (without
sounding completely mindblown :) at the other end of the sausage.

bjørn

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 9:56 PM Alan Sondheim via NetBehaviour <