[NetBehaviour] Geneva, 2009, Tram

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Mon Nov 11 06:12:42 CET 2019

Geneva, 2009, Tram

http://www.alansondheim.org/tram.jpg
https://youtu.be/fHs1B7sAKUE VIDEO

Geneve

Thanks to Foofwa d'Imobilite
Now closer to the original. 3.61 gigabytes. Something comforting in
the vector. This motion, traffic lights changing automatically as
the tram approach, this perfect, miniscule, vector. This traversal.
I still dream these. The largest - driving across the U.S. from
Dallas to Los Angeles nonstop, filming one frame every six seconds
(super 8mm) the whole way except for the pitch black night. Alone
in the car, around 24 1/2 hours non-stop, the camera mounted next
to me. Another vector. There was also a broken vector from Atlanta
to Dallas earlier. On the longer I hallucinated the last couple of
hours, lamp-posts bending towards the road at dawn. But the Geneve
vector! Fabulous, the city coming towards the relativity of the
immobile tram, as if it were that. The slightest of the cosmos,
now, later, a murmur of history, none of this is as it was or might
have been. The last time I saw Foofwa, close to a decade ago. The
last time I saw Geneve, well before that.

The dawn might be coming up, it was then.

Now earlier, more:
Had special permission to ride with the driver on the tram 12 line.
So 8 gigabytes across town with PAL smooth. Snowy as usual. Then
reduced to 300 megs just for an HLA compression to MP4. Tried for
standard .mov and it hit 1.7 gigabytes, not very clear. Sorensen
compression set at 70% 640 x 512 or some such. Tried for .avi at
Cinepak 80% but rendering would take a full day. The length of the
thing is 36 minutes. Don't have a full day and .avi usually looks
bad anyway. Tried for a 20x15 pixel for the Net. That blurred out,
uninteresting. Went up to 80x60, increased contrast, close to hzero
Sorensen. That was interesting. Saved in QT and doubled looped the
size. 13+ megabytes. The image is pointillist to say the least. But
beautiful running on the desk, why not? You might even save it, run
it full-screen. The original is still on the tape. The movement is
perfect, smooth. Had to remove the sound, that added 35 megabytes
at mono 8-bit 8k. At least you see grey and some colors. The colors
are more than I saw. The increased contrast brought them out. It
brought out Geneva for me. Thanks to the bus company.

"The dawn might be coming up, it was then."

------

17c17
< hours, lamp-posts bending towards the road at dawn. But the
Geneve
---
> hours, lamp-posts bending towards the road at dawn. But the
Geneve
36c36