[NetBehaviour] a video for Distant Feelings with voice recording by Marc and Ruth

Ruth Catlow ruthcatlow at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 15:26:15 CET 2019

Apologies for the delayed response Annie.

I've participated in a couple of these performances as a "listener" and to
watch closed-eyed listeners is very interesting - highlighting the mutual
or otherwise interior experiences of the physically distant collaborators.

I am always amazed at how quickly it became so normal to communicate
globally in the way we have since net. No wonder we are in such trouble -
we humans expect to just be able to handle this huge shift in sociality
without trouble or glitch.

The script of the spoken part gives some indication of the divergence of
reflections of participants.
I did have mixed feelings about hearing Marc's and my voices noisy over the
top of this image... but for the funny reason of feeling that it was a
transgression of the pact between other participants.

I particularly like this series of works. Thanks for inviting us to
participate in this special version and for sharing it here.

Ruth

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 2:27 AM Alan Sondheim via NetBehaviour <

> This is wonderful and it oddly came in my feed in relation to JSTOR's
> carrying an article with images from Nadir of the Paris Catacombs. The
> differences are enormous of course but there's a kind of meditative silence
> in both, a kind of 'uncanny smoothness' that inhabits them. The video work
> is so amazing, meditative, calming, spacing.
> Thanks, Alan
>
> On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 11:17 AM Annie Abrahams via NetBehaviour <
>
>> *Distant Feeling(s) [commented]* the video is a screencapture of *Distant
>> Feeling(s) #6* combined with a recording of *Marc Garrett* and *Ruth
>> Catlow* reading a remix of comments on previous iterations of Distant
>> Feeling(s).
>> We are very proud of this video and thank all who contributed to it.
>> https://vimeo.com/371422313
>>
>> We hope you will enjoy it.
>> #distantfeelings #networkedperformance #postperformance #videovortex
>> #onlinevideoaesthetics #performingabsence #onlinetogetherness #
>> telematicembrace #relationalrevolution
>>
>> Thanks for watching
>> Annie and Daniel
>>
>> Distant Feeling(s) is a project by Annie Abrahams, Lisa Parra and Daniel
>> Pinheiro
>>
>> More information:
>> bram.org/distantF/
>>
>> landproject.tumblr.com/post/188860558794/performing-absence-to-master-the-medium

Lab
+44 (0) 77370 02879

*Furtherfield *disrupts and democratises art and technology through
exhibitions,
labs & debate, for deep exploration, open tools & free thinking.
furtherfield.org <http://www.furtherfield.org/>

*DECAL* Decentralised Arts Lab is an arts, blockchain & web 3.0 technologies
research hub

decal.is <http://www.decal.is>

Registered business address: Carbon Accountancy, 80-83 Long Lane, London,
EC1A 9ET.