[NetBehaviour] Links

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Thu Nov 28 19:06:20 CET 2019

On 2019-11-27 7:40 p.m., Alan Sondheim wrote:
>> This sounds so white/privileged to me, the position
> of the listener paramount for example, the relegation of community to
> reproduction, etc. It's a form of hip effacement. I realize I haven't
> read everything HH's has written, but there's a fundamental difference
> between a drum machine and a "great drummer" who came from community,
> breathes within community, and contributes to community. Thinking for
> example of free jazz, and the difficulties and explorations of the great
> players, the relation of that music to the cry, the field holler, the
> blues, gospel musics, etc.

I think HH would agree with you.

> and I keep returning to white white white white white and privilege.
There is something class-bound about Grimes (currently dating a
billionaire) and HH (whose last album was their PhD thesis) arguing
about who the future will be worse for. But I suspect that our own
reactions can be similarly reduced to our respective identities.

There's obviously a bigger historical discussion about race, technology,
intellectual property and music that AI and "AI" are just the latest
phase of. Drum machines being prominent in rap and techno and disdain
for them as tools may be related, for example. Given this, I'm genuinely
surprised that AI has been instantly mainstreamed in music in the way
that it seems to have. More like the Fairlight than the 808...

- Rob.