[NetBehaviour] Happy Thanksgiving in a darker world!

Max Herman maxnmherman at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 28 20:05:39 CET 2019

Hi Alan,

Coincidentaller and coincidentaller!  My tinnitus is raging today, I am thinking of millstones, and I just learned the word "hypnagogic" last week reading Sacks' Hallucinations for my book club.

No wifi so I haven't viewed the files yet but will.

Re solitons, I love those for some reason.  I think they must relate to a lot but am not sure what or how exactly.  Perhaps to the essence of time?

Also in book club we read Barnes' Sense of an Ending years ago which mentions solitons I think, and of course Barnes studied at Cambridge or Oxford with Kermode who also wrote a book called Sense of an Ending.

Sacks' book is exactly what you say -- when a faculty is damaged or deprived of input it loses "constraint" and you get hallucinatory "release" activity, as the system fills in the blanks.  Phantom limb is one example he mentions.  He does also associate hallucinations with the highest levels of art and cultural creativity, perhaps even history itself (certainly to his own very personal history, revelatory to a degree in this his last book before death, most explicitly).

As is often the case I was the obstreperous theorist in book club last week.  Many thought the book was too "laundry list" of symptomology, with no frame or exploration of "interconnections" or larger ideas.  My argument was that the method so to speak was to describe broken networks, processing systems with damage, deprivation, or both.  We wrangled about that but generally I think it made sense gradually, though at first I wasn't sure if it would.  It wasn't a perfect book and did have plenty o' filler one could say, but as a person's final book who can criticize.  Sacks' did mention the "musical network" of the brain and "default networks" (i.e. the default mode network which is very important in brain functions of internal neurological as well as social situational balancing or baseline).

In this ramble I think the question of solitons and Barnes' idea of narrative is the least clear point I'm raising, vague for me as read long ago.  In his novel there is the key image of a wave that goes backward up a river.  The main character also learns he had been much more cruel and vain in his life than he had realized, self-serving, sort of like a tragic hero seeking out his own acts of hybris.

Having found perhaps a useful gap in my knowledge today, I've taken the Kermode book off the shelf for review, and notice it is about apocalyptic agendas in how artists and writers from "Plato to William Burroughs" have "imposed their fictions on the face of eternity, and how these have reflected the apocalyptic spirit.". It would make sense that our fictional "endings" are attempts usually to place a structure on the unending; a discovery or "uncovering" (i.e. apocalypse) of the "true map of things," an attempt at an authoritative resolution of debate out of dire adaptive necessity and imperatives of cognitive momentum.

One critic calls the Kermode (haven't opened it yet) a "non-schismatic view of human time" so I'm curious what that means, whether it could pertain to Benjamin or Frankfurt school and thence to "The Work of Art in the Age of Network Reproduction."

An attempt to tie together: the fictional endings we create are creative ways of filling in blanks, which can lead to knowledge, knowledge which is both bounded and free in space and time.

Now I will view files if signal permits, read some Kermode, some Time Reborn, then snowshoe a bit.

Thanks for good art and writing, and very best holiday wishes to all,

Max