[NetBehaviour] The Cake Maker of Transylvania - out now

Michael Szpakowski m at michaelszpakowski.org
Sun Oct 6 16:52:16 CEST 2019

 <creating something for my own amusement first, and wondering whether there might be an audience for it afterwards. Usually there isn't, but I still prefer it as a working method.>Indeed - and under most circumstances I agree 100% -indeed it seems to me the only honest way to make things *in general*. I'd only differ when it comes to work intended for non adults in the sense that there are clearly *some* ( and one wouldn't want to overplay this) developmental issues at stake -just think of the rapidity of change in childhood and adolescence compared to even twenties onward. So, to give an extreme example, *some* adults will struggle with Ulysses ( and a personal hands up - three times a third of the way in, full of  thejoy of it, and three times grinding to a halt especially if something shiny elsewhere catches my eye)  but, I'm willing to bet ,*no* five year old has read it.  I'd emphasise that these are linguistic, stylistic and structural, not content related, considerations.
So it actually seems to me a perfectly legitimate and helpful consideration to specify a broad age range for which a piece of work intended for children is aimed and indeed once during the writing, once that range starts to become clear to then have it at least a little bit in mind.My mantra with work with children in terms of language, structure has always been 'just beyond what the top expectation for the age range would be'.None of this remotely a criticism of the book which, as I said, I loved.
 Purely pragmatically too I suspect you might shift more copies if you were able to suggest who might really get the most out of it, and it deserves to find its audience.Michael