[NetBehaviour] Our long global nightmare is over

Garrett Lynch lists at asquare.org
Fri Sep 27 06:08:17 CEST 2019

I also enjoyed reading this. It's reassuring to hear echoed back the same
ideas I've been working on and expressing for almost ten years now. My
thesis was essentially about this just within the context of art "Networks
[in art] are not about technology".

I share, however, Gretta's skepticism that we have all woken up or to
extend that metaphor a little further that we have realised we are asleep
but we have chosen to not wake up because the dream is preferable, more
profitable, to reality. Generally, networks have become integral to systems
of power/control/money and now, just like with climate change, there is a
willful denial that they are or ever were more than technology by those
that wield the technologies. Unlike many artists who turned away from
Cybernetics in the 60s because of these issues we don't have this option we
must work through these problems.

--
regards
Garrett Lynch (IRL)