[NetBehaviour] As Above, So As Below

Max Herman maxnmherman at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 28 17:52:39 CEST 2019

I like this song, never heard of it before!

I like the picture too but it is very sad in a way.  Is it hopeful too?  That would depend partly on me I guess.

They're replacing the RNA world model of "molecule that copies itself appears and starts world" with systems chemistry, where chimeras are more mixed up, sort of improvising, creating fragments of this and fragments of that, fragments of RNA and fragments of DNA, in a kind of improv jazz tent meeting, then lo and behold, both RNA and DNA are born.  Just imagine how different these worlds are!  Primordial soup then RNA then DNA, versus primordial soup then chimeras of fragments then life.

There's a neat book called Life Itself by network biology expert Robert Rosen that is full of math.  Equations after equations.  All about how biology is a network.  Proteins are networks.  Cells use integral feedback control to coordinate a la cybernetics, all this before any human being existed or was dreamt of, since the very first cells and cells groups.

Above and below make sense, but are 2D somewhat.  What is 3D?  As without, so within.  This is why Shelley said "Who mourns for Adonais?  O come forth / fond wretch and know thyself and him aright.  / Clasp with thy panting soul the pendulous earth, / As from a center dart thy spirit's light / beyond all worlds, until its spacious might / satiate the void circumference, then shrink / even to a point within our day and night / and keep thy heart light lest it make thee sink/ when hope has kindled hope and lured thee to the brink."

But then what about 4D?  Like a unit circle but also sinusoid, which is DNA, plus all the rippling and flowing of life and history we see.  A beautiful elevated song of fugue and joy.

May heaven save the Boundary Waters Canoe Area!  🙂