[NetBehaviour] Resource: Community food growing in the emergency

Ruth Catlow ruthcatlow at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 12:23:38 CEST 2020

Hiya,

Thanks to everyone for ongoing conversations, invitations, resources and
news from where where we are. Very heartening <3

Below is an email from Sustainable Haringey - an excellent community of
food activists local to Furtherfield Gallery.

The linked document contains suggestions for growing produce at home, on
windowsills, balconies, any small patches of earth we might have access to.
I'm going to be giving it a go.

FW:Community food growing in the emergency
I hope you and your circle are well in the face of the virus threat.

I've been thinking about how important it is to grow food for ourselves and
our communities in the current situation. Shops and supply chains will soon
run out because food is not being grown in the usual quantities, given
that; even in good times (normal labour situation and no spring drought)
the UK produces only a minority share of what it eats; farmers elsewhere,
especially in Italy and Spain, will have difficulty keeping to planting
schedules and getting enough workers this summer. Prices will surely
rocket. So I suspect a Cuban-style or Middlesborough-style movement to
home-grow and make best use of community growing spaces will be badly
needed.

Please see the attached notes, and circulate them if you think they are
useful. Comments and additions welcome.  I have put the text on a google
docs link which can be circulated to and accessed by anyone, you don't need
a login or password:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iWt4OZ9ukI9OrYiD1M0zUsoK3-biZyw78x5uFrQLivI/edit?usp=sharing

=======
Here is a tune to listen to while you read

[image: image.png]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mvs5lWx2uQ
========
Warmly
Ruth
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mvs5lWx2uQ>
Lab
+44 (0) 77370 02879

*Furtherfield *disrupts and democratises art and technology through
exhibitions,
labs & debate, for deep exploration, open tools & free thinking.
furtherfield.org <http://www.furtherfield.org/>

*DECAL* Decentralised Arts Lab is an arts, blockchain & web 3.0 technologies
research hub

decal.is <http://www.decal.is>

Registered business address: Carbon Accountancy, 80-83 Long Lane, London,
EC1A 9ET.