[NetBehaviour] shakuhachi ghost

Max Herman maxnmherman at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 5 21:48:00 CEST 2020

Hi Alan,

I like this video, jpg, and writing today.

I have mild strabismus, and while watching the video on my phone I saw a single eye in the middle of the apartment building, sort of fleeting like that kind of image you have mentioned which is kind of like a morning hallucination.  I forget the term, apophatic?  No, that is something different maybe.  (Will check later; I prefer not to check missing word definitions right away these days.)  I read about the morning hallucination type in a book by Oliver Sacks called Hallucinations, I think.

In any case, I saw a single eye in the middle of the screen due to strabismus, but it wasn't stable and morphed in and out of Visibility as the colors of the video changed.  As the video progressed, both eyes became visible in normal geometry, and of course normal in the black at the end of the video.  I like images (often like imaginary blueprints in my mind's eye, like bodies, or really, of the set of all bodies, which is to say the original pre-human primate matrix: the set of all bodies in the set of bodies in which my body lives, my group of 20 to 40 linked brains) of apartment buildings recently, in part due to starting reading Georges Perec's Life, a User's Manual as part of my study of Calvino's pre-emptively proposed syllabi Six Memos (Sei Proposte per il Prossimo Millennio).  I dream about apartment building plans sometimes.  They are kind of like grids, matrices, skeletons, or gardens, but with an organic and often organically pathogenic ingredient creeping in around the nooks and crannies perhaps because to be honest math is about equivalences not equality as identity, not about math at all, one might argue if Jacob Lurie is onto anything at Princeton with his new redefinition of all of mathematics based on his Higer Topos Theory of 2009.

I also like that the bone marrow is part of the immune system, a truly marvelous part if I'm not mistaken, while also being the dietary discovery that the first pre-humans' tools made accessible thus immediately creating our human brains.

There is also Kafka's story "The Knight of the Bucket," which I haven't read, but should look up and get, but is discussed by Calvino in his reminder or memorandum for our new third millennium "Lightness."  (It may be that in Calvino's composition, the first millennium was that of religion, the second that of the book, and the third, that of the network.)  In the Kafka story, the speaker goes looking for coal in his home city Vienna due to a bitter shortage of heat, out on the street freezing, then, amazingly, floating in the air.  He floats with his bucket above his landlord and landlady, asking them for coal, so that he won't freeze, but floats too high, eventually not being able to hear or speak to them.  The story ends with him floating across the landscape in search of.

The word "basket" prompted me to think of the Kafka, I'm pretty sure.

As to the corona, the crown, who is more monarchic, mono-archic, than death itself?  It is the principle of the emptiness of closedness, also symbolized in Calvino by a ring (which caused among other things Charlemagne's mythic necrophilia), its singleness and lack of Multiplicity (the which being Calvino's fifth and last memo because he died himself before writing the sixth, which I hypothesize was to have been about fear, the fear of death, petrifaction, and its corollary value, which I take to be delight, persistent observation and expression summed up by the word Consistency, in the sense of continuing on or not continuing on, which is also of course the comic corollary of the tragedy or tragos-ode, goat-song which arguably was the first practice of "Western Civilization" in pre-ancient Greece).

Death is a mighty crown which we each get to wear in our own due time, but so is life.

So, thanks for posting today, it is interesting to hear some Japanese words and concepts, if that is a correct interpretation, a good reminder to self to read up on those.  I know very few if any, the main ones if any being my own bastardized tragos-cycle of wabi-sabi-aware-yugen, taconite- and Teotihuacan-based, which I now have to also look up, but was able to find, link below.

In any case, here is a marvelous poem from Basho, which today's reflections prompted me to find for the first time:

          the beginning of furyu

          this rice-planting

          song of the north.

All best,

Max

Notes and references:

Wayback machine wabi-sabi project from 2004, titled "The Four Moods of Furyu"
https://web.archive.org/web/20091028070421/http://www.geocities.com/genius-2000/furyu.html

Perec at Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Perec

Calvino's six Memos
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Memos_for_the_Next_Millennium

Jacob Lurie:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Lurie

Bone marrow's lymphatic role:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_marrow#Lymphatic_role

Kafka's Der Kubelreiter:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bucket_Rider

Bartelby the Scrivener (only known topic of the unfinished Sixth Memo):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Piazza_Tales

The history of furyu:
https://shiseidodojo.wordpress.com/2010/05/09/japanese-aesthetics-furyu/

[https://shiseidodojo.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/ikeno_taiga_001-mod-1.jpg]<https://shiseidodojo.wordpress.com/2010/05/09/japanese-aesthetics-furyu/>
JAPANESE AESTHETICS: FURYU | Shiseidodojo's Blog<https://shiseidodojo.wordpress.com/2010/05/09/japanese-aesthetics-furyu/>
Ukiyo-zōshi (浮世草子 ) or “books of the floating world” was the first major genus of popular Japanese fiction, by and large written between 1690 and 1770, primarily in Kyōto and Ōsaka. Ukiyo-zōshi style literature developed from kana-zōshi (仮名草子 ) [a type of printed Japanese book that was produced largely in Kyōto between 1600 and 1680, referring to books written in kana ...
shiseidodojo.wordpress.com

The Piazza Tales - Wikipedia<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Piazza_Tales>
The Piazza Tales is a collection of six short stories by American writer Herman Melville, published by Dix & Edwards in the United States in May 1856 and in Britain in June. Except for the newly written title story, "The Piazza," all of the stories had appeared in Putnam's Monthly in 1853-1855.
en.wikipedia.org

The Bucket Rider - Wikipedia<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bucket_Rider>
"The Bucket Rider" (German: "Der Kübelreiter") is a short story by Franz Kafka, written in 1917. It first appeared in the Prager Presse in 1921 and was published posthumously in Beim Bau der Chinesischen Mauer (Berlin, 1931).The first English translation, by Willa and Edwin Muir, was published by Martin Secker in London in 1933. It also appeared in The Great Wall of China.
en.wikipedia.org

Bone marrow - Wikipedia<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_marrow#Lymphatic_role>
Bone marrow is a semi-solid tissue which may be found within the spongy or cancellous portions of bones. In birds and mammals, bone marrow is the primary site of new blood cell production or hematopoiesis. It is composed of hematopoietic cells, marrow adipose tissue, and supportive stromal cells.In adult humans, bone marrow is primarily located in the ribs, vertebrae, sternum, and bones of the ...
en.wikipedia.org

Jacob Lurie - Wikipedia<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Lurie>
Jacob Lurie's results at International Mathematical Olympiad This article about an American mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it ...
en.wikipedia.org

Six Memos for the Next Millennium - Wikipedia<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Memos_for_the_Next_Millennium>
Six Memos for the Next Millennium (Italian: Lezioni americane. Sei proposte per il prossimo millennio) is a book based on a series of lectures written by Italo Calvino for the Charles Eliot Norton Lectures at Harvard, but never delivered as Calvino died before leaving Italy.The lectures were originally written in Italian and translated by Patrick Creagh.
en.wikipedia.org

[https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/78/Georges_Perec.jpg]<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Perec>
Georges Perec - Wikipedia<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Perec>
Georges Perec (born George Peretz) (French: [peʁɛk, pɛʁɛk]; 7 March 1936 – 3 March 1982) was a French novelist, filmmaker, documentalist, and essayist.He was a member of the Oulipo group. His father died as a soldier early in the Second World War and his mother was murdered in the Holocaust, and many of his works deal with absence, loss, and identity, often through word play.
en.wikipedia.org