[NetBehaviour] shakuhachi ghost

Alan Sondheim sondheim at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 22:11:35 CEST 2020

Hi, just a couple of points - first I appreciate your reply greatly.
Re: Lurie - I'm not in any position to judge his work (which I've looked
at); I'd like to read an account of how fundamental concepts are embodied
and given priority in pure mathematics. Certainly his constructions come
across as baroque; I'm not sure how they apply outside post-category theory
(or even within category theory).

The piece is about contagion, breathing, reversal. The image is a negative
of course.
The shakuhachi is played a couple of inches away from a cold window-pane
with the sun in the background.
Breath from the shakuhachi condenses, then disappears, from the
window-pane.
The breath appears 'like' a dark viral cloud, disappearing. The sound from
the instrument produces the cloud which then evaporates. It's a cleansing
and a conjuration.
The shakuhachi is an instrument for meditation. There are only five
finger-holes and it's end-blown. It's difficult. I had to hold it awkwardly
in order to get the breath to condense in front of the camera, without the
instrument appearing in the image.
So the image seems ab nihilo except in relation to the sound. The sound
might be a viral breath itself, a harbinger of death to come.
Silence cleanses the image of course, evaporation.
So it's bound to the phenomenology of sound and music, Kristeva's concept
of the 'clean and proper body' and so forth.
Jinashi shakuhachi are an older 'natural' style; mine is from around 1930.
It's almost the sound of the bamboo itself. So it's the sound of a natural
order in relation to another, the virus.
The reference to ghost is to somatic ghosting, which I've written a great
deal about, and talked about at London ICA etc.
Panalal Ghosh is one of the most amazing and deep bansari players that ever
lived.

This was all thought out over a sleepless night. So I understand you
running in a different direction with it of course; I do feel that the
content, whichis/was already heavy, might have been missed, which is of
course my own fault, for not spelling out the above?

Best, Alan, and thank you

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 3:49 PM Max Herman via NetBehaviour <

gmail.com <http://gmail.com>*