[NetBehaviour] Article about the Mona Lisa landscape

Max Herman maxnmherman at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 8 16:44:25 CEST 2020

Hi all,

I forgot to mention that one key element of the Mona Lisa which Smith does not mention in depth (nor does any scholarship I have been able to find) is the bridge, which is the only human artifact in the background, and which leads by a smooth curve into the vortex-shaped portion of the sitter's shawl.

This subtly powerful element returns the eye from the background to the foreground in a spiral flow, and forms a spatial, visual, and conceptual link between the hydrodynamics of the background and the technical artifact of the garment as product of human capacity through time rather than its identical equal.  The textual background of the notebooks is essential here, because Leonardo's work was trans-media (as the Smith essay helps clarify).

The next "return" then is to the sitter's hands, heart and face, which act as a non-identical mirror of the viewer's own human capacity for direct experience, creation, and communication, bringing the spiral hydrodynamic out of the painting into our own brains and bodies and thus into the life of our world, literally bringing Leonardo back to life.

At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!  🙂

All best,

Max