[NetBehaviour] News From Where We Are #1

marc garrett marc.garrett2 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 16:37:22 CEST 2020

Hi Helen,

Big thanks for listening, and I was very aware that including various
people from the community was and is part of the context. And,
including the Ethernet Orchestra was very important, especially
because their improvised performances have been using the networks so
well.

Have been receiving encouraging responses already, and it only went up
yesterday afternoon, two hours later than scheduled.

Looking forward to getting the others ready.

On Sat, 11 Apr 2020 at 11:09, Helen Varley Jamieson
<helen at creative-catalyst.com> wrote:

> great work marc, all very interesting! & there is also music from ethernet orchestra :)
>
> h : )
>
> On 11.04.20 04:25, marc garrett via NetBehaviour wrote:
>
> News From Where We Are #1
>
> Welcome to Furtherfield's new podcast - a cultural discussion grounded
> in news from where we are.
>
> https://soundcloud.com/furtherfield/news-from-where-we-are-1
>
> When the lockdown hit the UK a couple of weeks ago we asked
> contributors and lurkers on Furtherfield's Netbehavour email
> discussion list how they were doing.
>
> We received reports from every continent and this inspired us to
> create this podcast. Some of them have record their reports for us too
> and we will hear from them in a minute.
>
> All of this reminded us that while we may be confined to our homes by
> the Coronavirus emergency we still have access to thriving networked
> cultures from around the world. So this podcast is a conversation with
> many voices from the ground to explore how the
> collaborative-imaginative fieldwork of artists, techies and activists
> is informing how we organise, imagine and build solidarity, good
> health and post-capitalist realities. Working together and supporting
> others to do the same.
>
> This new podcast includes your news from where you are, interviews,
> reviews, readings to explore how people want to live in our
> globally-connected world now.
>
> It includes news from Helen Varley Jamieson, Rob Myers, Isabelle
> Arvers, Tacira and Edward Picot; conversations between myself and
> Cassie Thornton, and Ruth Catlow and Cade Diehm, an audio essay by
> Jaya Klara Brekke, a review by Regine Debatty and a Poem by Jeremy
> Hight.
>
> Sounds from Ouch Those Monkeys, Alan Sondheim, Azure Carter, Luke
> Damrosch, Stewart Home.

> helen varley jamieson
>
> helen at creative-catalyst.com
> http://www.creative-catalyst.com
> http://www.upstage.org.nz

Wishing you well.

Marc

Marc Garrett

Co-founder & Artistic director of Furtherfield & DECAL Decentralised Arts Lab

Furtherfield disrupts & democratises art and technology through
exhibitions, labs & debate, for deep exploration, open tools & free
thinking. http://www.furtherfield.org

DECAL Decentralised Arts Lab is an arts, blockchain & web 3.0
technologies research hub for fairer, more dynamic & connected
cultural ecologies & economies now. http://decal.is/

Recent publications:

State Machines: Reflections & Actions at the Edge of Digital
Citizenship, Finance, & Art. Edited by Yiannis Colakides, Marc
Garrett, Inte Gloerich. Institute of Network Cultures, Amsterdam 2019
http://bit.do/eQgg3

Artists Re:thinking the Blockchain. Eds, Ruth Catlow, Marc Garrett,
Nathan Jones, & Sam Skinner. Liverpool Press - http://bit.ly/2x8XlMK