[NetBehaviour] Ethernet Orchestra Distant Presences VJ mix

marc garrett marc.garrett2 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 16:49:47 CEST 2020

Hi Roger,

Lovely to hear & see this again. Big shame we could not keep VS going,
way ahead of its time.

I also feel a bit angry towards the elites of the net art community at
that time, such as Ars Electronica idiots, only supporting their
institutional/academic pals, and not supporting and giving it the
credit it really deserved.

On Tue, 14 Apr 2020 at 13:06, Roger Mills <roger at eartrumpet.org> wrote:

> In 2018, Ruth and Marc opened up VisitorStudio for anyone to record their mixes before it was finally mothballed. I was at the tail end of a writing project and managed to record only a few performances, which i am now slowly dubbing sound to picture.
>
> This video, Distant Presences (2007), was an audio-visual radio performance by Ethernet Orchestra, featuring Neil Jenkins, Graziano Milano and Helen Varley-Jamieson mixing in Visitors Studio to our live tele-improvisation.
>
> The program host, Brooke Olsen, took listeners through how they could access VisitorsStudio and watch the VJ mix, while listening to our performance on terrestrial radio, as well as the net broadcast. In turn, the musicians we were able to view the performance and respond to changes in the visual stream.
>
> We had been pursuing the concept of radio you can watch with Furthernoise radio in Bristol, but expanded it here to live networked improvisation rather than a playlist.
>
> It also reminded me of the innovative performances many of us here were doing, e.g., Dissension Convention, Month of Sundays. Particularly for a time in which low latency multi-directional networked audio was only just becoming possible.
>
> VisitorsStudio was so innovative for its time.
>
> There’s a couple more mixes to dub sound on, and I will post them as I have time.
>
> View and listen to Distant Presences https://youtu.be/n9zAcc_Uz7w
>
> Enjoy!
>
>> Roger Mills
>
> http://www.eartrumpet.org
> http://ethernetorchestra.net
> http://telesound.net
>
> Oceans between Sound, an album of online improvisation by Ethernet Orchestra, Pueblo Nuevo 2020
> <https://pueblonuevo.cl/catalogo/oceans-between-sound/>
>
> Author of Tele-Improvisation: Intercultural Interaction in the Online Global Music Jam Session. London: Springer 2019 <https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783319710389>
>
> New chapter - Mills, R. (2020). Rhythm, Presence, and Agency: Defining Tele-Collaborative Space as a Site for Net Music Pedagogy. In Busch, T., Moormann, P. & Zielinski, W. (Eds.): Musical practices and virtual spaces, Munich: Kopaed (in process).
>
> Lead researcher on Net Diaporas: Developing Cultural Practices through Internet Music Performance.  Iranian House of Music, Sydney.

Wishing you well.

Marc

Marc Garrett

Co-founder & Artistic director of Furtherfield & DECAL Decentralised Arts Lab

Furtherfield disrupts & democratises art and technology through
exhibitions, labs & debate, for deep exploration, open tools & free
thinking. http://www.furtherfield.org

DECAL Decentralised Arts Lab is an arts, blockchain & web 3.0
technologies research hub for fairer, more dynamic & connected
cultural ecologies & economies now. http://decal.is/

Recent publications:

State Machines: Reflections & Actions at the Edge of Digital
Citizenship, Finance, & Art. Edited by Yiannis Colakides, Marc
Garrett, Inte Gloerich. Institute of Network Cultures, Amsterdam 2019
http://bit.do/eQgg3

Artists Re:thinking the Blockchain. Eds, Ruth Catlow, Marc Garrett,
Nathan Jones, & Sam Skinner. Liverpool Press - http://bit.ly/2x8XlMK