[NetBehaviour] Budge

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Sun Apr 19 20:44:12 CEST 2020

Budge

http://www.alansondheim.org/budge.jpg
https://youtu.be/3wT8X-aOg8Q  FULL VIDEO

The description below is superceded by the full budge video now on
YouTube. I've wanted to show this for a long time; at one point,
when the video was created, I had no YouTube access. The inert
appears in dull grey. I hear myself in the relative silence of
this.

For what it's worth, it's meant a great deal to me. It resonates
with the arc of the world, 'world' in the largest and most
inconceivable sense(lessness).

Original description of the short version: This is a 11 times sped-
up video of large ships and a Nor'easter in Nova Scotia.
Everything's ice-bound. The ships move slowly in the open water.
The back-hoe was slow as well. The full video is 11' in length; for
online I sped it up to 1'1". It's a different video. I'm interested
at the moment in blankness, inertness, the deeply obdurate of the
real. On some of the sections I've used 10x echo at +/-.05 to
structure the movement; with the largest ship, there's just a
slight blurring of outline. It's that slow, that deliberate. The
backhoe is framed by text and windows at a media center. These
forces resonate for me with the smoothed hard granite boulders at
Peggy's Cove and Mahone Bay, and with the fragility of the basal
metazoan glade of the ctenophores washed up in advanced of last
week's blizzard. Everything impinges, and the nub of a prow
impinges greatly.

+++