[NetBehaviour] Confusion Entanglement, philosophy, poetics

Max Herman maxnmherman at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 27 19:48:36 CEST 2020

Hi Alan,

I like this image -- though it is surprisingly frustrating to look at, as if I'm losing my sight, visual tinnitus? -- and the ideas in the text.

This past week I've been reading Hofstadter's Godel, Escher, Bach, chapter 4, titled "Consistency, Completeness, and Geometry" and it has also been confusing.  He discusses Godel's incompleteness theorem, Bach's unfinished "The Art of The Fugue" and his "Little Harmonic Labyrinth," layers of stability in visual perception, and explicit vs. implicit meaning, also including an old-time print of a labyrinth.  A lot of content for one chapter!

I also noticed that the book's subtitle, "The Eternal Golden Braid," is also E-G-B.  In chapter 4, he writes of Bach's use of B-A-C-H in the third theme of The Art of the The Fugue (H being A I assume, G+1).  Such a shifting of orders is part of set theory, which sometimes interprets the set [A, B, C] as different from the set [C, B, A], just as the set [2, 1] is seen by some number theory as different from [1, 1, 1]

My reading of the Hofstadter was prompted by a wish to read some of the many books cited in Calvino's Six Memos.  I read and re-read Six Memos often, because it is the basis of my annual project (third this year) called Solstizio Calvino.  It is a recurring project based on a few simple elements: the Six Memos, the summer solstice (solstizio d'estate), brain scans, and the images in the Special Collection of the Hennepin County library (which includes some great Piranesi prints as well as astronomical and geographic maps, some of which date to the 17th century).  I started the Solstizio in 2018 in part to reflect on the idea of what the unwritten sixth memo, of which we know only the title "Consistency," and that it was to have discussed Melville's short story "Bartleby the Scrivener," might have been about had Calvino not died before finishing it.

In my quest to find clues about what "Consistency" (from the same root sistere, to stand, put, or place, as solstice) might have been about, I was surprised this month to see the title of GEB's chapter 4.  So many close resemblances, along with the multiple mentions by Calvino of GEB in the Six Memos, convinced me there is something there.

I contacted Dr. Hofstadter with this hypothesis, and he replied yesterday, stating that he had never heard of it, nor has he read the Six Memos though he is aware of the book.

This to me does indeed resemble a strand in the Eternal Golden Braid, a message from Calvino meant for Hofstadter, but meant to be transmitted not by Calvino himself, but by way of Hofstadter's compatriots and fellow citizens, by we Bartlebys of the USA.

Calvino left us a puzzle to work on, like most teachers do.  They do not solve it for us, whether kung-an or equation.  The working out of it is, indeed, the point.  Each puzzle solved leads to another, and another, the metamorphoses of all that exists, indeed an E-G-B.

It remains to be seen whether this letter from Calvino will ever reach its destination, or rather go to the dead letter office at which the Bartleby of Melville, the great interpreter of US impossibility and blindness, worked to his irretrievable shaping.

If anyone has any comments or questions for Dr. Hofstadter, or colleagues who know him, I would be happy to relay your messages to him.

Very very best regards,

Max

Notes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6del,_Escher,_Bach