[NetBehaviour] Confusion Entanglement, philosophy, poetics

Max Herman maxnmherman at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 27 23:18:10 CEST 2020

Hi Johannes,

Your reply is very interesting, much appreciated.  I was trying to echo some of the factors you referred to in Alan's post, but I often try to reference Calvino for clarity which I forget is only clarifying to people with an interest in Calvino.  🙂

Theater is such a great tradition, practice, literature, and metaphor.  I was trying to relate Godel's theorem to Alan's mention of rules, math, structures, sets and categories, and the quote (from whom?) "no end to it, and no end to his thinking."  All of these to me compared very closely to Hofstadter's idea of "The Eternal Golden Braid."

In this sense I think that theater is also eternal, but eternally incomplete.  Godel's Incompleteness Theorem, as described by Hofstadter, says that "any system which is 'sufficiently powerful' is, by virtue of its power, incomplete, in the sense that there are well-formed strings which express true statements of number theory, but which are not theorems.  There are truths belonging to number theory which are not provable within the system."  It's a confusing idea I am just starting to study, but Hofstadter's discussion of it mentions language as a characteristic of mind, whereas axiomatic logic and certainty are more characteristic of machine.  To me it suggests that not all truths can be proven, and some can only be "enacted" so to speak; which Alan's post also reminded me of.

I cannot say if Hofstadter is on track or off, only that I find GEB interesting, and of course with the caveat that I may be misreading it.

Here is the final page of Six Memos, which your comments reminded me of and which may have been the last words Calvino ever wrote.  Where is theater now?  The answer may be "everywhere," even these emails being a snippet of dialogue in the expanded space.

“I have come to the end of this apologia for the novel as a vast net.  Someone might object that the more the work tends toward the multiplication of possibilities, the further it departs from that unicum which is the self of the writer, his inner sincerity and the discovery of his own truth.  But I would answer: Who are we, who is each one of us, if not a combinatoria of experiences, information, books we have read, things imagined?
“But perhaps the answer that stands closest to my heart is something else:  Think what it would be to have a work conceived from outside the self, a work that would let us escape the limited perspective of the individual ego, not only to enter into selves like our own but to give speech to that which has no language, to the bird perching on the edge of the gutter, to the tree in spring and the tree in fall, to stone, to cement, to plastic…. Was this not perhaps what Ovid was aiming at, when he wrote about the continuity of forms?  And what Lucretius was aiming at when he identified himself with that nature common to each and every thing?”

(“Multiplicity,” p. 124)