[NetBehaviour] We have a choice...

Edward Picot julian.lesaux at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 21:02:07 CEST 2020

Gill,

Thanks for that link. I listened to it this morning before I went to
work: really insightful and useful.

The vitamin D thing is very interesting - are we actually doing the
wrong thing by telling people in high-risk categories to stay indoors,
thereby depriving them of sunlight and Vitamin D (assuming they're not
taking supplements) and thus possibly compromising their immune response?

Also of interest is the fact that BAME populations suffer more from
hypertension, coronary heart disease and diabetes, and tend to get them
earlier. But hypertension, coronary heart disease and diabetes are not
on the government criteria for shielding - see
https://digital.nhs.uk/coronavirus/shielded-patient-list. Maybe they
should be? Or maybe multi-morbidity should be a criterion for inclusion
on the shielding list?

Or maybe we shouldn't be shielding at all? There's a good article about
this in the Guardian -
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/29/shielding-impossible-coronavirus-testing-and-tracing
.

Edward