[NetBehaviour] current story

Max Herman maxnmherman at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 2 19:26:12 CEST 2020

Hi Paul,

I agree it is concerning when BLM calls for peaceful protest, and people not from the African American community condemn calls for peace as reactionary racism.

Obviously everything is complex and convoluted, but perhaps examples can be illuminating.

On Sunday here, a large tanker semi truck drove into a crowd of about 3,000 protesters on the interstate highway.  He was there accidentally, honked his horn and stopped, and no one was hit.  Of course it looked to be a massive vehicle attack, so the protesters used force to get the driver out of the truck.  Reportedly he was punched twice in the face, suffering a broken nose.

Of course I was reminded of the terrible attack on Reginald Denny during the Rodney King riots.  Images like that can harm reconciliation and progress greatly; in other words, I'm not sure if the Denny attack was helpful.

However this did not happen on Sunday.  The protestors immediately shouted "don't hurt him!  We're not like them!  This is a peaceful movement!" The driver was immediately turned over to police with minor injuries and held in custody pending investigation.

It turned out that he was only on the highway because the closure was moved up from 8 pm to 5 pm on short notice.  The driver was already on the highway when it was closed.

I would recommend people look at this footage -- how a tiny butterfly's wing can change so much.  The heroism of so many avoiding a tragedy which would have been unnecessary, counterproductive, and arguably damaging to the movement.

Am I being reactionary and racist for being glad no one was killed?  I don't think I am.  I don't understand why supporting the movement requires not calling for nonviolent means.  Is it only violence against persons that can be objected to, never destruction of property, and if so why?  Burning all the building in a neighborhood hurts the neighborhood's people in a meaningful sense.

Everyone is going to make their own choices obviously, but I just don't understand the outright rejection of nonviolent protest and of advocating for it.

If one argues that peaceful protest is forbidden, how much of the destruction is enough, does it apply to property only or include life, and who decides?  If one person calls for X amount of destruction and another a lesser amount, is the latter a reactionary?  If the justifiable amount of destruction is not infinite, what criteria are valid for limiting its scope?

Amid the sinister asymmetric operations we know to be afoot this question is even more relevant.  A young relative has asked me why pallets of bricks are being delivered to the city's poorest neighborhoods.

A final example is Mandela, apartheid, and the philosophy of truth and reconciliation.  Is it wrong to praise Mandela just because injustice still exists?  What about the avoidance of reprisals in Rwanda?

With respect to all in terrifying times,

Max