[NetBehaviour] so many different points of view, and my own so flawed

Max Herman maxnmherman at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 4 20:33:30 CEST 2020

Hi all,

I know CNN is very establishment/mainstream but I thought the following article was somewhat relevant:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/04/us/protests-black-americans-debate-blake/index.html

Tone is so difficult to communicate in email especially when the reader and author are not known to each other in any personal way -- no face to visualize, no emotional connection, no body language, no way of determining trustworthiness.  I really am unsure about what the norms so to speak are regarding peaceful vs. non-peaceful means of protest.  I hear so many differing views on this question among people I know and also across the media.  Part of me feels like I want to support the efforts of so many here in Minneapolis to work for peaceful change, and yet I also have a horrifying feeling that I have no right to do so.  Calling for or participating in non-peaceful means seems wrong also, both legally and morally, and if it's wrong for me I struggle to see how it is right for others.  The general mental and emotional state this all produces is very fragmented and disorienting.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or dismissive in my posts but looking back on some of my recent posts they definitely read that way.  I have to admit that my judgment and emotions are affected by my feelings of fear and sorrow that cycle through each day, from seeing peaceful community protest, cleanup, food drives, and healing during the day alternate with threatening vehicles and individuals (lately all or mostly white) and national guard troops in my racially and economically diverse and historically progressive neighborhood at night.  As a person who possesses white male privilege I don't know if I have any right to question the use of non-peaceful means; sometimes I think I do, but sometimes I think I don't.  It's as if there are two irreconcilable views, one that peace is positive and one that it is not, and no way to choose between them.

In regards to a recent reference I made to a Native American historical archive that was lost to fire, here is a direct link to that group's website.  I have no right whatsover to speak for them.  https://www.migizi.org/post/loss-of-home

Perhaps it is healthy and unavoidable for there to be lack of consensus on these issues, signifying how the old consensus (if there ever was one) is gone and a new has to be created day to day, with dire consequences for the future of our world.  Who has the right to a role, and what kind, in articulating the new norms is I suppose part of the conversation too.

Be safe and well,

Max