[NetBehaviour] need suggestions, thank you in advance

Ruth Catlow ruthcatlow at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 12:14:56 CEST 2020

Hiya
THIS....
Annemarie Chandler and Norie Neumark's anthology *At a Distance: Precursors
to Art and Activism on the Internet* useful for the "Prehistories of New
Media" course I taught: https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/distance.
...is my all time favourite!

It is scholarly and accessible, has multiple voices, multiple practices,
does proper prehistory and gets to the heart of the strangeness and
multi-dimensionality and, most importantly for me, the centrality of
relationality to networked media as a site and medium for artistic practice.

:)

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 11:39 PM Alan Sondheim via NetBehaviour <

> Hi Paul, Thank you for this! Greatly appreciated. I ordered the Social
> Media book. I think I'm going to do the packets on the fly; otherwise I'd
> spend more than the course is paying for texts! (And it may well not make.)
>
> Best, Alan, thanks again -
>
> On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 2:09 PM Paul Hertz via NetBehaviour <
>
>> For older net communities, Judy Malloy's book
>> https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/social-media-archeology-and-poetics. I
>> haven't read it yet, but have been reading her notes on FB and her web
>> pages. Some of the essays in her earlier book
>> https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/women-art-and-technology were perennial
>> selections for my classes. I don't know that there is any one book that
>> will do as a "general" text. I always ended up with electronic reading
>> packets.
>>
>> // Paul
>>

>> On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 8:56 PM Alan Sondheim via NetBehaviour <
>> netbehaviour at lists.netbehaviour.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Interesting - I can't afford the book, but that's ok. I can draw on my
>>> own experience with minicomputers (I used a Terak way back) and the pieces
>>> I produced with them.
>>> It's odd, there doesn't seem to be a "general" text. I found an old
>>> Routledge, Cantoni and Tardini, Internet, but it's from 2006. For older Net
>>> stuff I even have a few BB&N original papers here.
>>> How do you describe the history, current culture, putative origins and
>>> futures, of a multifaceted civilisation that's planet-wide? ...
>>> Alan, thanks!

>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> -----   |(*,+,#,=)(#,=,*,+)(=,#,+,*)(+,*,=,#)|   ---
>> http://paulhertz.net/

Lab
+44 (0) 77370 02879

*sending thanks
<https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-newsroom/press-releases/2019/november/think-before-you-thank-if-every-brit-sent-one-less-thank-you-email-a-day-we-would-save-16433-tonnes-of-carbon-a-year-the-same-as-81152-flights-to-madrid.html>
in
advance

*Furtherfield *disrupts and democratises art and technology through
exhibitions,
labs & debate, for deep exploration, open tools & free thinking.
furtherfield.org <http://www.furtherfield.org/>

*DECAL* Decentralised Arts Lab is an arts, blockchain & web 3.0 technologies
research hub

decal.is <http://www.decal.is>

Registered business address: Carbon Accountancy, 80-83 Long Lane, London,
EC1A 9ET.