[NetBehaviour] need suggestions, thank you in advance

Alan Sondheim sondheim at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 16:45:35 CEST 2020

Thank you for this! The prehistory I can cover without a book; I knew a lot
of people involved at the time. But the course is on the Internet
unfortunately and I feel I should start with Lovelace, jump to Cerf etc.
and then into BBS, very early mail lists around 1971 and then thru TCP/IP
and packets just a bit then to the roaring lower and upper ascii, irc and
up through the current Net. There's a lot of books that cover aspects, but
this would be a beginning course and survey and there doesn't seem to be
anything available for that. I'll probably have to go to a packet of essays
and urls as well; the difficulty with that is that, for a student, there's
no overall 'scheme' to make sense of things, and I don't want to go to
teleology, i.e., yes it's neoliberalism at work, or truth vs. fake news
etc. - everything is far more complex than that, even at the ground level.
There's a real real need for something "elementary" and affordable. I have
a book, Internet, Routledge, Cantoni and Tardini, but it's dry and from
2005 which puts it back in the dark ages. I didn't see an update on it, O
Alas! (I love using "O" incorrectly as an interjection). Years ago when I
taught this stuff, there were good books, the Net was tiny, and no one
heard of Trump. (I actually had the head of the IEEE in one of my classes;
he wanted to see how the Net functioned from the position of user
experience.)
Meanwhile I'll look for a copy of the book for myself!

Best, Alan

gmail.com <http://gmail.com>*