[NetBehaviour] Just Out // Algorithmic Anxiety in Contemporary Art

marc garrett marc.garrett2 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 12:38:02 CEST 2020

Hi Patricia,

Thanks for sharing this... it looks ace - will read :-)

On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 at 07:41, Patricia de Vries
<patricia at networkcultures.org> wrote:

> Theory on Demand #33
> Algorithmic Anxiety in Contemporary Art:
> A Kierkegaardian Inquiry into the Imaginary of Possibility
>
> by Patricia de Vries
>
> Available as open access E-pub or print-on-demand here:
>
> Over the past decade, a growing number of artists and critical practitioners have become engaged with algorithms. This artistic engagement has resulted in algorithmic theatre, bot art, and algorithmic media and performance art of various kinds that thematise the dissemination and deployment of algorithms in everyday life. Especially striking is the high volume of artistic engagements with facial recognition algorithms, trading algorithms and search engine algorithms over the past few years.
>
> The fact that these three types of algorithms have garnered more responses than other types of algorithms suggests that they form a popular subject of artistic critique. This critique addresses several significant, supra-individual anxieties of our decade: socio-political uncertainty and polarisation, the global economic crisis and cycles of recession, and the centralisation and corporatisation of access to online information. However, the constituents of these anxieties — which seem to be central to our experience of algorithmic culture — are rarely interrogated. They, therefore, merit closer attention.
>
> This dissertation uses prominent artistic representations of facial recognition algorithms, trading algorithms, and search algorithms as the entry point into an exploration of the constituents of the anxieties braided around these algorithms. It proposes that the work of Søren Kierkegaard—one of the first theorists of anxiety—helps us to investigate and critically analyse the constituents of ‘algorithmic anxiety’.
>
> Institute of Network Cultures, Amsterdam 2020

Wishing you well.

Marc

Marc Garrett

Co-founder & Artistic director of Furtherfield & DECAL Decentralised Arts Lab

Furtherfield disrupts & democratises art and technology through
exhibitions, labs & debate, for deep exploration, open tools & free
thinking. http://www.furtherfield.org

DECAL Decentralised Arts Lab is an arts, blockchain & web 3.0
technologies research hub for fairer, more dynamic & connected
cultural ecologies & economies now. http://decal.is/

Recent publications:

State Machines: Reflections & Actions at the Edge of Digital
Citizenship, Finance, & Art. Edited by Yiannis Colakides, Marc
Garrett, Inte Gloerich. Institute of Network Cultures, Amsterdam 2019
http://bit.do/eQgg3

Artists Re:thinking the Blockchain. Eds, Ruth Catlow, Marc Garrett,
Nathan Jones, & Sam Skinner. Liverpool Press - http://bit.ly/2x8XlMK