[NetBehaviour] Links

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Tue Mar 10 00:24:38 CET 2020

On 2020-03-09 3:38 p.m., Max Herman via NetBehaviour wrote:

> Conversation-worthy links as always!

Thank you!

> Regarding the story about Yale changing their intro to art history
> course, it makes sense to me.

Yes I think this is a good thing for much the same reasons you give.

Putting my "They Live" glasses on for a moment, it's interesting to me
that such a key site of the social reproduction of American hegemony
feels that it must change what art means to that culture in order to
satisfy the needs of its ruling- and administrative- class consumers. Or
to put it another way: "Art means different things to different
cultures", yes, go on... ;-)

> I wonder if the Sadie Plant link on technology (art and science) as
> weaving might corroborate that those are mapped to ML's garment via the
> bridge, rivers, cognitive-historical cycles, etc.?  According to some
> traditions clothing was literally the first technology.  🙂

Plant's work is long overdue a wider rediscovery, and I think you
identify a great link here. Plant discusses the Mona Lisa (and of course
William Gibson's "Mona Lisa Overdrive" given the era) in "Zeros and Ones".

- Rob.