[NetBehaviour] Links

Max Herman maxnmherman at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 10 03:56:37 CET 2020

Yale has a network studies club for grad students but I think it's mostly about robots.  They don't approach it as an avenue for undergrad liberal arts, where I think it belongs better.  This is largely because undergrad curriculum is controlled by faculty, who have a vested interest in protecting their own departments as departments, their garments so to speak.  So intro courses perhaps are "the last to know."  It will be a brave school that first offers a Network Studies major in undergrad liberal arts.  But it will pay off, because it is between and among the disciplines that future progress will primarily occur.  Network Studies also fosters G, which is needed most for both prosperity and for disaster management.  One institution is interested but they want me to write the curriculum for them and that is time-prohibitive, myself lacking a PhD period much less one in curricular design.

I do wonder if Plant described the ML as a network map with technology as a garment for the human agent.  Whether or no, I think a true network map interpretation of the ML could be a significant Netbehavior product and starting point for a Network Studies major in honor of Leonardo's 500th year.  I will try to read the Plant book but my reading list and brain capacity are rather full through May, and to be honest I quail before much digital theory.  Perhaps because it sometimes seems to gaslight me that there was never an analog network, or one before humans, but if a loom counts as a computer maybe Plant does not partake of that too much.  As to the Gibson, which I have also not read and probably cannot bring myself to before writing my own ML essay, I sometimes suspect what I am envisioning is more like underdrive.  🙂