[NetBehaviour] interesting new language

Max Herman maxnmherman at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 15 18:54:40 CET 2020

I sometimes think of the word "new" as a noun, or imagine what a noun "new" might mean.  For me it hearkens back to a Victorian British street slang perhaps.  Cynical but boisterous and moderately well-fed folks, not necessarily educated but urban and vocal, improvising in the age of coffeehouses and non-monarchial public sphere formation.  A time where newly information-rich urban populations burgeoned.

But if Shakespeare used "news," and I think he did, the noun "new" must be even older.  Could it have emerged spontaneously, by necessity once for the first time, when someone said as if by accidental mutation "what news?" instead of "what's new"?  People hate keeping phrases the same.  If you say to a kid "what's new?" enough times they'll start saying "what news?" or "new what's?" or "what's what?" or whatever.  Nature abhors a vacuum, and vacuity, which is to say, temporally speaking, stasis.

But as if algebraically, let's say "let 'new' be equivalent to 'single quantum noun of that which is new.'"  This is an example of the algebra that applied category theory (Spivak) uses to articulate networks by way of functors, and to articulate the networks of relationships between diverse scientific disciplines.  We are saying, "let there be a set of things that are new, and then let there be a subset of those new things which are single quanta; each object in that set of single new quanta we will call a 'new'."  Now we have another set populated with items, each of which is called a "new."  (Here a new, there a new, everywhere a new new, so to say.)  Then applying grammatical morphisms someone might utter "what are the new news today?"

Thus our phrase may derive from one person asking another, "what are the new quanta in the network?"  It's one of the first human questions, or maybe it is the first question and in a sense the set of all questions.  The question can stay somewhat the same day to day, but the answer will inexorably change, or as Shakespeare wrote "Like as the waves make toward the pebbled shore / So do our minutes hasten toward their end, / Each changing place with those that came before, / In sequent toil all forwards do contend."  This is partly the message of Ovid, and of Lucretius.

Therefore I would propose an hypothesis: "See Ovid 2019" as one of the set of conditions resulting from SARS-CoV-2.

Notes:
https://archive.org/details/cattheory/page/n11/mode/2up [Spivak]
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/45095/sonnet-60-like-as-the-waves-make-towards-the-pebbld-shore
http://classics.mit.edu/Ovid/metam.html