[NetBehaviour] How is everyone?

Max Herman maxnmherman at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 23 18:20:35 CET 2020

Hi Ruth,

Thanks for the direct query!  I am finding it easy to get wrapped up in "tracking current events" and losing my perception of things local, or internal, in all the rush, so yours is an excellent reminder to check-in so to speak on what I often overlook.

Things change so much every day that adaptation is very ad-hoc, but overall my situation is toward the normal end of the spectrum for now.  My family and friends are all safe, though like everyone we worry about those we know who are more at risk and are helping them however we can.  I'm fortunate to be able to work from home but several family members and friends (some in health care) cannot.  Perhaps my circumstances can be summed up as typical for many in the not-yet-hardest-hit places in the US, i.e. that we are preparing with both trepidation and resilience in varying ratios.

As an artist and writer, I do feel that an event of historical proportions has occurred that will be transformative to a greater or lesser degree in many spheres of society.  I'm more aware of the power of words and images to harm as well as to help, to support or to undermine well-being, to clarify or distort, and of the pressure this places on my own choices.  There is so much that I cannot control, and yet I still find the aesthetic process and all it entails to be a source of guidance and resilience.

In late 2018 I began forming a research group to study the inter-relations among art, meditation, neuroscience, and networks from a transdisciplinary perspective, with a focus on medical principles including the Hippocratic ethos.  This is energizing in some respects, but extremely daunting and humbling in others because the group is still in early planning stages -- well short of having any deliverables -- and the current crisis is so large, with so much uncertainty.  Although I am not great at practicing it I have found the Hippocratic ethos to be one that helps me to understand how to guide my own actions, or at least to bolster my hopes that there are feasible precedents for finding responsible and practicable guidelines in my own actions.

Many thanks for all that you do at Netbehavior and for being a space of shared resources in a challenging time.

Very best wishes,

Max

Notes:
Jacques Jouanna, “Hippocratic Medicine and Greek Tragedy,” 2012, https://brill.com/view/book/9789004232549/B9789004232549-s005.xml
+++++
Health care and Buddhism:
+++++
Medicine Ways: Traditional Healers and Healing
https://www.nlm.nih.gov/nativevoices/exhibition/healing-ways/medicine-ways/medicine-wheel.html