[NetBehaviour] Update from Australia

Roger Mills roger at eartrumpet.org
Wed Mar 25 04:48:43 CET 2020

It’s great to read everyone’s updates about the predicaments in their country to have a broader view on things.

We in Aus have just adopted an NZ style approach identical to what Helen has posted, so nothing more to add to that. Hundreds of thousands of people have been lining up outside welfare offices to sign onto unemployment benefits in what looks like something out of the great depression. There is also an impending gloom that a complete UK style lockdown is inevitable.

Good news comes from our local Council libraries, where I spend part of my time working. Despite closing the doors to the public, Council have been fantastic in developing new library services, such as click and collect and Library 2U - delivering books and other items to elderly and disabled people in the community. New memberships have increased massively in the last week, and it has been great to see such the community respond.  Rather than laying off staff, we have been busier than ever selecting books and other items for people’s requests, and delivering them to the most vulnerable. We are providing literature on local health services, including local free transport to appointments, and, where necessary, to ask people that may be struggling if they require further help.

It’s so heartening to see such great civic organisation and community engagement!

Stay well everyone!

Roger

—
Roger Mills

http://www.eartrumpet.org <http://www.eartrumpet.org/>
http://ethernetorchestra.net
http://telesound.net

Author of Tele-Improvisation: Intercultural Interaction in the Online Global Music Jam Session. London: Springer 2019 <https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783319710389>

New chapter - Mills, R. (2020). Rhythm, Presence, and Agency: Defining Tele-Collaborative Space as a Site for Net Music Pedagogy. In Busch, T., Moormann, P. & Zielinski, W. (Eds.): Musical practices and virtual spaces, Munich: Kopaed (in process).

Lead researcher on Net Diaporas: Developing Cultural Practices through Internet Music Performance. A joint collaboration between Iranian House of Music, Sydney and Creativity and Cognition Studios, University of Technology, Sydney.