[NetBehaviour] No Artist Left Alive: Speculations on the Post-Pandemic Struggles of Cultural Workers Within, Against and Beyond Capitalism

marc garrett marc.garrett2 at gmail.com
Fri May 8 11:52:04 CEST 2020

No Artist Left Alive: Speculations on the Post-Pandemic Struggles of
Cultural Workers Within, Against and Beyond Capitalism. By Max Haiven.

"The agonizing reality is that, after the pandemic, any resurgence of
the hegemonic “art world,” let alone the art market - and here I have
in mind the field of visual art, even when it has exceeded “the
visual” - must be seen to index the restoration of finance capital’s
hegemony (which enriches the lion’s share of the collectors and
benefactors), and therefore as catastrophically bad for humanity."

"We must admit that “contemporary art,” all theoretical pleasantries
aside, is the plaything of the world’s financialized super-rich. This
can be observed at art fairs or auctions in the world’s metropoles,
and in the careers of the roughly 250 global art stars whose work
hangs in the yachts and penthouses of the world’s oligarchs. Any
“return to normal” in the art market simply means that the proverbial
boss is back from his luxury disaster-bunker vacation and has money
burning a hole in his pocket." Max Haiven

"No Artist Left Alive" was published in print issue 11, "Faux Culture"
http://artsoftheworkingclass.org/text/no-artist-left-alive