[NetBehaviour] This is outrageous! Can anyone do anything?

Johannes Birringer Johannes.Birringer at brunel.ac.uk
Mon May 18 16:24:12 CEST 2020

dear all, - thanks Alan for finding this notice, I am saddened to hear they will dismantle the Kara Walker Fountain.
nNot sure whether one can object. I would have thought artists these days (i remember Richard Serra troubles vaguely)
have contracts, no?

"Fons Americanus" is a bizarre, provocative and powerful installation, I was lucky to see it before the museums closed.
I photographed Walker's "dedication" as it is so beautifully written, and attach it for you here
along with a photo I took. I remember trying to sit down close to it, on the edges, to study some
of the figures, but the guard asked me to step back. There were three other visitors, photographing,
recording the water. The guard allowed. Is it not strange that we don't look at work anymore except (also) through our
devices?

And public monuments, in public spaces, oh la la. I am rereading Robert Smithson's "Passaic" to
be cheered up.

Johannes Birringer