[NetBehaviour] a song for peace in Minneapolis: "The Beautiful"

Max Herman maxnmherman at hotmail.com
Sun May 31 00:50:40 CEST 2020

Hi Michael,

I will certainly stop sharing it as being relevant to the civic unrest here; my apologies for not checking with you first.

That said, many of the protest leaders here are denouncing the orchestrated campaign of arson, which is decimating the very neighborhoods which are hurt most by economic inequality and injustice.  Irreplaceable Native American historic archives have been burned.  Incendiary devices have been found in my immediate neighborhood and the "burn it down" graffiti is written with punk rock "A" symbols and slogans having nothing to do with justice for George Floyd.  His family is calling for an end to the arson which is destroying their neighborhood, and there is no police or fire prevention presence whatsoever to protect people.

This destruction is close to me, on my street and in my nostrils.  Maybe my city should be burned to ground to bring change -- every single structure bar none.  But I and many others who are calling for justice are also calling for an end to the arson and looting.

I hope I am not sounding reactionary here.  One indicator of our dilemma is that Trump's rhetoric is fanning the flames, rather than calling for calm and healing.  There are images and reported evidence of well-equipped arsonists not from the affected community acting in a highly orchestrated operation.  If you can stream coverage from WCCO channel 4 some of the community leaders are speaking on these issues.

Perhaps a moment or breath of peace cannot save my city, or the world.  My sincere hope is that it can.

My emotions are raw and fear is everywhere, so I may not be coherent.  I will respect your wishes though not to associate the song with a political agenda; that was not my intent but I do see how it could be seen that way and I confess my judgment may be off-base due to my own biases and emotional state.

Best wishes to all,

Max