[NetBehaviour] Sorting Kandinsky

Pall Thayer pallthay at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 22:31:13 CEST 2021

Thanks Edward. Personally, I find it fascinating to watch in action as the
pixels float from their position in the painting to their sorted position.
I haven't really considered what it ends of looking like as a composition
of its own.

BTW... when I told my wife that I made a sorted Kandinsky, she replied,
"What's a sordid Kandinsky?"

On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 2:39 PM Edward Picot via NetBehaviour <

> It gets more beautiful as it goes along, shot through with more and more
> colour. There's a strong sense of decay and deconstruction, as if the
> Kandinsky was a tapestry being disassembled into all its separate threads;
> but there's also a tremendous richness of it, a sense of festooning, as if
> all those threads were being thrown across the screen.
>
> Edward
>
> On 06/04/2021 16:58, Pall Thayer via NetBehaviour wrote:
>
> Thanks Alan.
>
> Regarding your question... it's more technical than anything else. I wrote
> a PHP script to do the pixel sorting, the visual is created in Processing.
> When I tried to run the sorting algorithm on a full resolution image, PHP
> gave up because it was too much info. So I ended up reducing the Kandinsky
> image to 200 x whatever pixels and then in the visualization I make
> everything 5 times bigger. So, what represents a single pixel is actually
> 5x5 pixels. To make sure that the source point of any sorted pixel matches
> its location on the image, I had to enlarge the image x 5 too. So it ends
> up a bit blurry and pixelated.
>
> Best r.
> Pall
>
> On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 11:33 AM Alan Sondheim via NetBehaviour <
>
>> This is amazing and lovely and reminds me of the period of time Kandinsky
>> was working, it also reminds me of Klee's notebooks. A question - why the
>> blurred image at the beginning? Was that deliberate, or the result of the
>> processing or my computer for that matter?
>> ...turns almost Monet-ish, water lilies myopic.
>> Would there be a way to create a three-dimensional parallel to this? Or a
>> way to create a bvh file for creating a 3d model? Just curious.
>> The speed is pure music, thank you for such beauty -
>> - Alan
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 10:17 AM Pall Thayer via NetBehaviour <
>> netbehaviour at lists.netbehaviour.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Some new work I'm making and would like to share.
>>>
>>> Composition II sorted by saturation ascending, brightness descending,
>>> hue descending.
>>>
>>> https://youtu.be/tqVNxMffvp0
>>>
>>> Best r.
>>> Pall Thayer