[NetBehaviour] Woven Qin

Alan Sondheim sondheim at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 02:15:55 CEST 2021

Hi Johannes,

I love erhu; I have one which I've used with our group, as well as a
Cambodian tro, which is similar (and rare, thanks to Pol Pot's destruction
of instruments).
The qin is amazing; wooden ones have been found buried in the Marquis of
Yi's tomb - that are 2400 years old. When I was at Brown, I heard a concert
given on a Tang dynasty one, around a thousand years old. Mine has been
dated from the Qing dynasty, 1636-1912, most likely 200-400 years old.
Stephen Dydo, a qin player who on occasion plays with me on a variety of
instruments, brought it back to life. It's a wonderful meditative
instrument; you can get modern ones from Eason Music in the U.S.
https://www.easonmusicstore.com/collections/all-things-guqin - there must
be similar stores in Europe. Of course there is a Facebook page devoted to
the qin.
I was at a loss for playing, literally, until the Net brought a variety of
sites to light. I also knew Frederic Liebermann whose 1983 A Chinese Zither
Tutor, a translation, introduced the music and technique to the West; he
also warned me away from the instrument, saying I'd never be able to play
it (no training). Earlier, Van Gulik wrote The Lore of the Chinese Lute,
which gives enormous religious and cultural background about the
instrument.
I couldn't string or tune it; now, I can't string it properly myself, but I
can keep it in tune (you have to pull the strings tight by hand without
gearing). When I started playing with Stephen, he helped greatly and
continues to help me. We've played concerts together and recorded together
for ESP a cd, Dragon and Phoenix, in which we play a variety of
instruments, but the focus is on the qin itself. He has amazing and
expensive qin (also called guqin, ancient qin), and I can give a general
warning (the same for shakuhachi), beware of inexpensive ones or ones made
to look "antique" - they're out there. I was really lucky here as well - I
found my qin at a antique shop somewhere in New England decades ago for
$18; when I paid for it, the clerk asked what I wanted "the board" for.
You can find amazing qin music online; it's often played very slowly and
meditatively; it's tuned pentatonically, and harmonics are used a lot.
There are no frets; the body of the instrument is also a fretless
fingerboard for the strings.
The proper positions on the strings - even with position markers, it is so
easy to play horribly out of tune. A lot of glissando and harmonics are
used. The board is like an ocean. The wood is very very old; Van Gulik
describes the type used. The instrument figures in a lot of Chinese and
even some Japanese painting (it's no longer played in Japan). The lacquer
use is hand-made with a very complex process and composition to create a
playing surface. And it's very very quiet.
I look for people who know instruments well, and do research on them as
well. Most of mine are old and I feel - I know this might sound absurd -
but I have to honor their age and provenance. I pass them on as well; we
gave a few to the National Music Museum several years ago for example.
All of this goes into my thinking about music in relation to the body, to
internalization and tacit knowledge, to the limits of hearing and
finger/hand movement, and so forth. It's very non-technological (in the
contemporary sense); it has to do with the history of the body as well as
ideas of care and deep ecology. It's never just a situation of "playing"
for me. I'm also concerned with the sound in the world - not how to change
that, but how the sound interacts with the world, even whether or not there
are any listeners, and so forth. So it's the opposite of my technological
art (virtual worlds, codework, and so forth), but also informs that.
Under Mao, something like 300 ancient qin were destroyed during the
Cultural Revolution. It has a resurgence with new qin that use metal
strings at higher tension etc. (I use metal strings - silk break too easily
and are too expensive, but I keep the metal strings at low tension).
Sometimes the soul of the music seems to have been lost with an emphasis on
technique, group playing, snappy tunes and so forth. But the qin can be
used for any number of things, by anyone!

Sorry to go on at length here and thanks for the opportunity.

Best, Alan

gmail.com <http://gmail.com>*