[NetBehaviour] The Year of Covid-19, Death and Collages.

Edward Picot julian.lesaux at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 21:32:31 CEST 2021

Marc,

I do like these. They remind me of all sorts of things - at times
there's a Max Escher quality to the way they kind of tangle up the
picture plane - zigzags of course, tickertape, buckled aluminium,
pentagrams and stars of David... I think what you say about 'floating
objects that struggle to break free' hints at part of what's going on in
them: there's definitely a sense of struggle, frustration even. CV-16,
the one with the blue lake in the middle and the strips suddenly not
criss-crossing each other, seems to have a palpable feeling of calm and
release to it, by contrast with the others - and the fringe-ends of the
strips in this one are like fingers dipping into the water.

I'm also very interested in what you have to say about your working
method - A4 paper, biros, coloured pens, hands-on, combined with some
open-source image processing via the Gimp - and you make a link from
this to punk. I can really relate to that. I think for quite a lot of us
new media art in its all-digital form, once everybody moved off
computers and laptops onto mobile phones, has become increasingly
technical and sophisticated and removed from the DIY
bodge-it-together-and-see-what-happens ethos it started with. The
mixture of hands-on and digital you describe - for me, at the moment,
it's charcoal drawings processed via Inkscape - is starting to feel like
a distinct place of its own, one which retains at least some of the
original earthy, amateurish, punkish experimentalism we had in the early
days of the Web.

Edward